Are you ready to develop your personal practice and become a knowledgeable,
skilful and compassionate teacher?
You do not have to be able to do advanced postures to teach yoga. The SPACE Yoga Studio Foundational Teacher training is a fully inclusive course suitable for all ages and abilities; and is founded on our passion to share yoga and empower all students to take the next step in their knowledge of the body and movement, yoga philosophy, pranayama and meditation.
Our welcoming, comprehensive (300hr) course at Brighton & Hove’s premier yoga school will foster a deeper understanding of your own practice and lead to greater self-awareness. The course will also provide you with a strong teaching methodology, an excellent technical understanding of asana and human anatomy, as well as thorough knowledge of the traditions and philosophy of yoga.
Carefully designed for those who desire a complete, in-depth training, this life-changing 9-month programme includes 100hrs of mentored self-study to prepare and support you as you tread your path as an experienced practitioner and budding yoga instructor.
Applicants must have a minimum of 2 years consistent yoga practice. Attendance for all course modules is compulsory and graduation depends on successful completion of all elements of the course.
- Introduction to the yoga philosophy of the main schools of yoga, as well as the evolution of modern/Western postural yoga;
- Led asana, pranayama and meditation practice;
- Examination of your own practice as a foundation for your teaching, including: commitment to self-practice, reflective practices, teaching practice and class observations;
- Basic Sanskrit
- Deconstruction of key postures, alignment and modifications;
- Ethical and sensitive verbal and manual assists;
- Guided practice of pranayama, meditation, kriyas and chanting;
- Savasana and restorative practices;
- Teaching methodology – how to use your voice with confidence and authenticity and how to use relatable language;
- Smart sequencing and curriculum planning;
- Working as a yoga teacher;
- Foundational anatomy and physiology in relation to yoga;
- How to teach in a Vinyasa Flow style that is effective, inspiring and suitable for your students.
Each student will be assigned a mentor for the course, and there will be 100 hours advised non-contact time consisting of:
- Reading and assignments
- Class/workshop attendance
- Home practice
- Class observations
- Mentor/study meetings
- 2 class teaching observations
Fully recognised by Yoga Alliance Professionals we are committed to providing each trainee with a comprehensive 9-month programme providing tools to develop your curiosity, evolution as a practitioner, and abilities to be an effective and powerful instructor.
On successful completion of the course (attendance, assignments, assessment and practice log) students will receive the SPACE Yoga School Foundational Teacher Training Certificate (200hr).
Practice experience& application
Students must have been practicing for a minimum of 2 years and provide a letter of recommendation from their current teacher.
Placements are first come first. All students will have to fill in an application to outline intentions and experience and submit an essay set by course tutors. Space reserve the right to refuse enrolment and can retract a students’ place at their discretion.
A £500 non-refundable deposit will secure the place and the balance must be paid in full 4 weeks before the course starts. Space Yoga reserve the right to withhold the place if full payment is not received before the start date (exceptional circumstances will be considered).
All contact hours, manual and assessment are included in the cost. Workshops, classes, travel accommodation, food, insurance and first aid are not included.
Refunds are not available for those who decide to not continue with the course (exceptional circumstances will be considered). Students should email space Yoga Studio if they decide to leave the course.
Punctual attendance and a minimum of 90% of the course must be attended in order to successfully complete the course. Trainees may be required to re-take modules in order to pass. The school reserves the right to charge additional fees for these catch up modules/sessions/assessments.
Successful applicants should be in good physical and mental health and have stable personal circumstances to complete this course with the focus and dedication it requires.
Students will be expected to have a regular practice and keep a diary/journal throughout the entirety of the course in addition to contact hours.
Students should follow the process below should an issue arise
- Talk to nominated course mentor regarding issue (informal). If issue is with that tutor, students will be expected to talk to the second course leader.
- Meeting with both course tutors (student will be advised to bring support with them).
- Written complaint via email to Space Yoga Studio which will be responded to within 7 days
- Complaints will remain anonymous unless there is unsafe behaviour that needs to be referred to other professionals.
- Space yoga will provide an answer/solution where possible within 7 days. If this is not possible, the school will provide reasons why and a possible route forward.
Code of conduct
By entering the Space Yoga Foundational Teacher Training course I agree to the code of conduct of acceptable, ethical and professional behaviour listed (but not limited to) the following in conjunction with the teaching and business of yoga. I will;
- conduct myself in a professional and conscientious manner
- ensure that my practices and behaviour conform to the representations I make about myself in holding myself out as a yoga practitioner.
- seek development of skills, experience and practice where appropriate
- provide the public with safe and effective yoga teaching
- Create and maintain a safe and clean environment for the practice and teaching of yoga
- Encourage diversity by respecting all students regardless of age, physical limitations, race, creed, gender, ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation
- Respect the rights and privacy of students
- Refer students to alternative instruction /advice which may be more appropriate should my skills be limited.
- Avoid words and actions that constitute sexual misconduct
- Adhere to the traditional yoga principles as written in the Yamas and Niyamas.
- Follow all local government and national laws that pertain to my yoga teaching and business.
I agree to comply with the conditions and requirements as set out in the Space Yoga course curriculum, and accept that failure to do so will disqualify me from any accreditation. I commit to upholding the standards of the teachings I have been given, and to maintain and promote the good name of yoga and Space Yoga Studio and its course tutors at all times. I accept that failure to do so may result in annulment of the accreditation of or partaking of the course.
As a student of your training course, I consent to my contact details (name, email and phone number) being passed onto our partners, Yoga Alliance Professionals, so they can contact me directly and invite me to register as a Trainee and Teacher. I understand that I have the option of opting out of this registration process.
- SEPTEMBER 2020-JUNE 2012 over 10 weekends – dates TBC
£3000 (early bird £2800)
£500 deposit non-refundable. Payments can then be made in a lump sum or instalments